Skip to main content

Let's Get Modern

I am continuing my journey as a pattern maker.

I have 3 completed patterns, with the original quilts pieced and quilted and on the covers.  

Each pattern features a different piecing technique:
 
#101 - Paper Foundation Piecing
#102 - Hexagonal Pineapple with "Y" seams piecing
#103 - Conventional piecing a 9-patch center, in a 9-patch block

With those done for the traditional quilter who loves the historical quilts, now I am working on the modern/contemporary version of each one.

#101, Spring's Glorious Pathway 
will be subtle, soft colors with a lot of 
negative space for textured quilting.





#102, Grateful Comfort 
will feature a lot 
of Tula Pink fabric with chartreuse centers 
and a wild old large print shower curtain fabric!  
I am so excited about this one.  To accent all that brightness, 
I have some browns to grays.  Can't wait.






#103, Starlit Crossroads 
will be crazy
 greens with melon colors and gray to
 beige accents.  So stay tuned as I make progress!





I love designing quilts!  Patterns, on the other hand are a bit more challenging.  I can draft a pattern on graph paper; do all the fabric calculations, all the piecing drawings and numbers, but getting all the specific directions out of my mind and onto paper is a challenge.  

As quilters, we know what to do and forget that everyone reading our pattern doesn't necessarily have our years of knowledge and skills.  So to make sure you cover all the bases it can take a lot of words and paper!

And that doesn't even begin to cover the color and final look of the quilt process.  That is just the construction.

I tend to use a lot of scraps from my stash in color groups, so often, relaying yardage requirements to the pattern is also difficult.  I have a picture in my mind of the look I want to achieve in the quilt and I just start sewing elements, blocks, strips and then when they are all done I play with the layout.  Nothing is planned ahead.  It is all serendipitous.  And I am never too precious about the final outcome.

So I will continue to produce patterns, here and there.  I will continue to attempt to get all the directions on the paper.  But I always hope that you will take my design, throw it in the air and let it land as your own!

Help me out here...  Let me know what you like to see in a well written pattern?

Thanks, Keep on piecing!

Jill




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Homey" - re-homed UFO! This one's going in a whole new direction!

So, I've joined in on #UFOvember 2020, organized by Bobbie Gentili at The Geeky Bobbin and this week I want to share a little UFO re-homing.  First off, my own UFO confession.   About 10 years ago, I spent a good week completely re-working, re-organizing, purging and cleaning my sewing room/studio.  After nearly 45 years of quilting, you could say I have some stash, mind you, not as much as some I've seen!  It all started because I couldn't find a quilt top I wanted to finish and gift to someone.  Long story short, it had fallen behind a box on the top shelf (5th shelf up) and was finally located after the total reorg.  I keep all my projects (yes, officially UFO's) in apple boxes on 3 big Costco shelf units.  Yes, that is 45 boxes!  But this includes projects, fabric groupings, garments, fabric for garments, linings, backings, jami fabric...ok you get the idea.  Point is, not all are UFO quilts. But, I wanted to be able to find anything within 5 minutes.  My mind knows

So many opportunities, so little time

Keeping it short and sweet!  If you are like me you don't want to read a lot of words, just give me the pictures.  So, that is what I will do most of the time. It is all about the QUILTING journey.   What are we doing? What are we working on? What is the process? What are our thoughts on the ideas? What are we buying? What are we eating?  (Oops, that's a different blog, I will try to say on task here... FOCUS!) So, I am creating quilt patterns with a friend and partner, Jim Tharpe, who has a collection of family quilts dating back to the slave era.  I will make the first quilt as a replica of the original and the second quilt will be a modern/contemporary version.  Stay tuned for that blog coming soon. These patterns will be available soon on Etsy! The Original Quilt... This is the original quilt owned by Jim Tharpe.  It is bright and vibrant even all these years later.  It is hand quilted in straight lines. My Replica... This is my "Replica&quo